- This workshop has passed.
May 21, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 3:00 pm
This workshop is intended for teachers of students grades 2 – 8, or any teacher responsible for instructing students how to respond to text in writing, and to present information in the form of expository paragraphs, reports, and essays. Come away with specific lesson plans with clear objectives that will empower you to:
- Provide rigorous, close reading strategies for annotating complex texts
- Explore opportunities for analyzing and summarizing the organizational structure of a variety of texts.
- Learn specific strategies for crafting strong introductions and conclusions.
- Generate a number of broad yet distinct main ideas.
- Write a variety of powerful supporting details.
- Support ideas through relevant evidence and rich vocabulary.
- Respond to a variety of informational writing challenges: essay/report, response to text, the “how to” piece, compare/contrast and literary analysis tasks.
- Provide students with clear strategies for responding to text with confidence and skill.
The required resource for this workshop is the Expository Guide, available in print or digitally with a license to the Hub.