Lesson of the Month: Letter to next Year’s Class
Objective: Students will write letters to next year’s class. They will use writing skills to help paint a clear picture of what to expect and any suggestions to help the new students.
Materials: notebook paper, envelope, pencil
- Reflect on the year. Have students discuss memories, things they’ve learned, goals accomplished, advice for new students, etc. Chart it if needed.
- Review letter writing. (Quick Writes- see the Letter Writing PDF below) Include the date, greeting/salutation, body of letter, closing, and signature.
- Students will complete a prewriting plan for a letter to next year’s class. You may need to model each step for your students depending on the age/level.
Topic: _____For Next Year’s Class
Main Idea #1 : ____what to expect_______
Main Idea #2: ____advice_____
- Remind students to use expository detail-generating questions to make things clear to the new students. What does it look like? Why is it important?
- Revise and edit. Share with the class.
*You could bind the letters together to create a class book.
*For technology, video the students reading their letters.