by Empowering Writers takes you beyond the book and combines professional development, digital teaching tools, how-to demonstration videos and direct to student content all in one convenient place!
Now, everything needed to polish teaching skills and meet the growing demand for writing and reading proficiency is at your finger tips. See below for a detailed description.
(This product is a license for digital guide only. The printed guide is sold separately.
License expires on June 30, 2020. For more information on using the Hub License, please click here)
Outside of US and Canada? Contact us.
Kindergarten Getting Ready to Write Guide with Art Connections
2019-20 School Year License
This resource is jam-packed with lessons to integrate narrative, informational, and opinion writing throughout your curriculum. Students will learn to recognize genre and author’s purpose, articulate ideas that will be expressed in writing (oral language precedes written), and engage in developmentally appropriate lessons.
Foundational concepts are built through a wide variety of lessons including:
- Genre and author’s purpose
- Drawing and labeling
- Informational writing
- Narrative Writing
- Expressing opinions
- Responding to text – fiction and non-fiction
- Powerful vocabulary building
- Research opportunities
Digital-format guide includes:
- Structured lessons that target each skill
- Step-by-step lesson plans with clear, measurable objectives
- Mentor texts that support close reading strategies and prepare students for response to text
- Strategies to break the writing discipline into a series of smaller, more manageable tasks
- Scripted lessons to help implement more effective modeling
- Suggestions for differentiating instruction to meet diverse needs
- Opportunities for applying writing skills across the curriculum
Embedded professional development including:
- Teacher Background – get a deeper understanding of the genre with brief, topic-specific video segments that reinforce every lesson.
- Modeled Lessons – watch actual classroom footage of foundational skills being taught by experienced writing instructors—pragmatic insight that can be applied right away.
- Coaching Segments – elevate teaching practices with valuable overviews, pacing advice and troubleshooting tips from certified Empowering Writers Teachers.
As you use the lessons in the guide, you will be building the bridge between the basic concept of the sound/symbol connection to the use of words, phrases and sentences to entertain, inform or share a personal opinion with an audience of others. The guide is laid out in genre-specific units so teachers can select appropriate lessons for a range of learners and apply those lessons to current content area material. The lessons all state clear objectives, include detailed procedures and provide a range of templates for student writing.
The final sections of the resource includes a series of reading/writing and art connections to make the reading-writing connection come alive in the classroom. In addition, our K-1 Activity Cards, available on the download link or sold separately as printed finished cards, are a convenient complement to this Getting Ready to Write resource.
The Teacher’s Manual is available in English only, English versions of the student pages are accessible digitally for print and projection via a link provided in the resource. Spanish translations of the student pages are under way and will be available at the end August 2019.