by Empowering Writers takes you beyond the book and combines professional development, digital teaching tools, how-to demonstration videos and direct to student content all in one convenient place!
Now, everything needed to polish teaching skills and meet the growing demand for writing and reading proficiency is at your finger tips. See below for a detailed description.
(This product is a license for digital guide only. The printed guide is sold separately.
License expires on June 30, 2019. For more information on using the Hub License, please click here)
Outside of US and Canada? Contact us.
Grades 6-8 Narrative Writing
2018-19 School Year License
Access everything you need to be successful at teaching narrative and personal experience writing and close reading for Grades 6, 7, or 8. Provides the foundation, background, and basic skills necessary for a powerful, comprehensive narrative writing curriculum – a must-have for every teacher of narrative writing!
- Character/Problem/Solution, Personal Experience, Imaginative, Creative Narrative
- Detailed whole class lesson plans (with differentiated instruction)
- Genre/organization -key foundational work for close reading strategies
- Craft great beginnings
- Build Suspense
- Create effective elaborative detail
- Satisfying endings
- Prompts and process writing projects
- Strong reading/writing connections through the use of literature
- Annotated pages for teachers
Digital-format guide includes:
- Structured lessons that target each skill necessary for effective narrative writing
- Step-by-step lesson plans with clear, measurable objectives
- Mentor texts that support close reading strategies and prepare students for response to text
- Strategies to break the writing discipline into a series of smaller, more manageable tasks
- Scripted lessons to help implement more effective modeling
- Suggestions for differentiating instruction to meet diverse needs
- Opportunities for applying writing skills across the curriculum
Embedded professional development including:
- Teacher Background – get a deeper understanding of the genre with brief, topic-specific video segments that reinforce every lesson.
- Modeled Lessons – watch actual classroom footage of foundational skills being taught by experienced writing instructors—pragmatic insight that can be applied right away.
- Coaching Segments – elevate teaching practices with valuable overviews, pacing advice and troubleshooting tips from certified Empowering Writers Teachers.
Direct to student content includes:
- Virtual Field Trips – multi-sensory experiences that give students important background information on topics prior to text annotation and analysis.
- Skill Power! PowerPoints – teacher-to-students presentations that help reference key instructional components of the writing process.