by Empowering Writers takes you beyond the book and combines professional development, digital teaching tools, how-to demonstration videos and direct to student content all in one convenient place!
Now, everything needed to polish teaching skills and meet the growing demand for writing and reading proficiency is at your finger tips. See below for a detailed description.
(This product is a license for digital guide only. The printed guide is sold separately.
License expires on June 30, 2020. For more information on using the Hub License, please click here)
Outside of US and Canada? Contact us.
Grade 8 Expository Writing
2019-20 School Year License
Access all foundational expository writing skills, strategies, lesson plans, sample texts and exemplars necessary for effective expository and response to text writing. Expository writing skills are applied to not only essays and reports, but become the backbone for the more challenging response to text tasks. Also includes research skills, note-taking, and how to cite textual evidence without plagiarizing.
Digital-format guide includes:
- Structured lessons that target each skill necessary for effective expository writing
- Step-by-step lesson plans with clear, measurable objectives
- Mentor texts that support guided annotation and analysis and prepare students for response to text
- Strategies to break the writing discipline into a series of smaller, more manageable tasks
- Scripted lessons to help implement more effective modeling
- Suggestions for differentiating instruction to meet diverse needs
- Opportunities for applying writing skills across the curriculum
Embedded professional development including:
- Teacher Background – get a deeper understanding of the genre with brief, topic-specific video segments that reinforce every lesson.
- Modeled Lessons – watch actual classroom footage of foundational skills being taught by experienced writing instructors—pragmatic insight that can be applied right away.
- Coaching Segments – elevate teaching practices with valuable overviews, pacing advice and troubleshooting tips from certified Empowering Writers Teachers.
Direct to student content includes:
- Virtual Field Trips – multi-sensory experiences that give students important background information on topics prior to text annotation and analysis.
- Skill Power! PowerPoints – teacher-to-students presentations that help reference key instructional components of the writing process.