by Empowering Writers takes you beyond the book and combines professional development, digital teaching tools, how-to demonstration videos and direct to student content all in one convenient place!
Now, everything needed to polish teaching skills and meet the growing demand for writing and reading proficiency is at your finger tips. See below for a detailed description.
(This product is a license for digital guide only. The printed guide is sold separately.
License expires on June 30, 2020. For more information on using the Hub License, please click here)
Outside of US and Canada? Contact us.
Grade 5 Narrative Writing
2019-20 School Year License
This new grade-level specific guide includes all of the foundational narrative writing skills and provides everything you need to be successful at teaching narrative, personal experience and response to text writing. Teacher background, detailed lesson plans, reproducible/projectable student pages, sample texts and exemplars are included.
- Recognize and distinguish between genres (narrative, informational, opinion/argument writing) and understand author’s purpose.
- Uncover the organizational structure of a narrative story
- Learn to read with an author’s eye, identify literary elements (character, point of view, setting, plot, motivation, conflict, theme)
- Annotate and analyze narrative stories to build foundational understanding
- Learn to recognize and generate narrative writing through skill specific instruction (entertaining beginnings, vivid, relevant elaborative detail, suspense, fully elaborated main events, conclusions, and extended story endings.)
- Develop literary language
- Extend or modify a narrative story in some way in to demonstrate understanding of the literary elements through a narrative extension task (NET).
- Respond, in writing, to narrative stories in order to demonstrate deep comprehension through a variety of literary analysis tasks (LAT).
Digital-format guide also includes:
- Embedded professional development:
- Teacher Background – get a deeper understanding of the genre with brief, topic-specific video segments that reinforce every lessons
- Modeled Lessons – watch actual classroom footage of foundational skills being taught by experienced writing instructors—pragmatic insight that can be applied right away.
- Coaching Segments – elevate teaching practices with valuable overviews, pacing advice and troubleshooting tips from certified Empowering Writers Teachers.
- Direct to student content:
- Virtual Field Trips – multi-sensory experiences that give students important background information on topics prior to text annotation and analysis.
- Skill Power! PowerPoints – teacher-to-students presentations that help reference key instructional components of the writing process.
- Animated Video Lessons – real-world, classroom-based videos that explain narrative writing skills with high-impact visuals.
- Lessons on the Move:
- Download and Print – condensed lesson plans for informing your instruction