by Empowering Writers takes you beyond the book and combines professional development, digital teaching tools, how-to demonstration videos and direct to student content all in one convenient place!
Now, everything needed to polish teaching skills and meet the growing demand for writing and reading proficiency is at your finger tips. See below for a detailed description.
(This product is a license for digital guide only. The printed guide is sold separately.
License expires on June 30, 2020. For more information on using the Hub License, please click here)
Outside of US and Canada? Contact us.
Getting Ready to Write: K-1 Writing
2019-20 School Year License
This resource is the bridge between the basic concept of the sound/symbol connection, to the use of written words, phrases, and sentences to entertain, inform, or convince an audience of others. The activities lay the groundwork for not only recognizing genre and purpose (narrative, expository, and opinion writing), but to provide opportunities for students to articulate ideas they’d like to express in writing (oral language precedes written) and additionally, for children who are developmentally ready, appropriate venues for them to begin writing in these genres.
A wide variety of lessons in narrative writing, informational and opinion writing, and basic research and the foundational concepts that inform these, are laid out in units that allow the teacher to select both the appropriate activities for the range of learners in the class and to apply the activities to thematic material of their choice. This substantial resource has clear objectives for K and 1, and includes detailed lesson plans for the teacher.
- genre and purpose
- information writing
- elaborative detail
- expressing opinions
- response to text
- vocabulary building
Digital-format guide includes:
- Structured lessons that target each skill
- Step-by-step lesson plans with clear, measurable objectives
- Mentor texts that support close reading strategies and prepare students for response to text
- Strategies to break the writing discipline into a series of smaller, more manageable tasks
- Scripted lessons to help implement more effective modeling
- Suggestions for differentiating instruction to meet diverse needs
- Opportunities for applying writing skills across the curriculum
Embedded professional development including:
- Teacher Background – get a deeper understanding of the genre with brief, topic-specific video segments that reinforce every lesson.
- Modeled Lessons – watch actual classroom footage of foundational skills being taught by experienced writing instructors—pragmatic insight that can be applied right away.
- Coaching Segments – elevate teaching practices with valuable overviews, pacing advice and troubleshooting tips from certified Empowering Writers Teachers.
Direct to student content includes:
- Virtual Field Trips – multi-sensory experiences that give students important background information on topics prior to text annotation and analysis.
- Skill Power! PowerPoints – teacher-to-students presentations that help reference key instructional components of the writing process.
In addition, our K-1 Activity Cards, which are sold separately, are the perfect convenient complement to Getting Ready to Write.